Thursday, February 7, 2013

Understanding the No Child Left Behind Act: Technology Integration

I found an article that expressed how integrating technology should be a part of the No Child Left Behind Act. The No Child Left Behind Act, basically states that students in elementary and secondary schools are required to meet academic standards while taking state-wide tests. Teachers are required to teach specific standards to their students. The students need to effectively accomplish the state standards. If students cannot meet specific standards on state tests, then it falls back on the teachers and the school systems.

As I previously stated, I found an article that showed how technology integration is implemented in the No Child Left Behind Act. The article stated only technology should be provided under No Child Left behind if state grants are proposed to the schools that are willing to use technology. The article mentioned that integration technology should only be designed to meet state academic standards. I agree that academic standards should be met, but I do not think it is the teachers' fault if their students do not pass state-wide tests. I do think students should be tested to see what they know, but it should not be the school systems that have to suffer. Technology would be a great way for students to get a hands-on learning experience. New and past technology would improve students' academic achievement. I agree with the statement about using technology in schools. It said, " Technology is to assist every student in crossing the digital divide by ensuring that every student is
technologically literate by the time the student finishes eighth grade, regardless of the student’s
race, ethnicity, gender, family income, geographic location, or disability."


Article found at: www.learningpt.org/pdfs/qkey3.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Denisha, I thought your article you read was very interesting. I looked for an article simular for my blog as well. I agree with you as well about how I believe academic standards should be met. However, I do agree that if all the students do not pass these standards, then it is the teachers fault. But, lets say like one or two does not pass then, no the teacher should not be at fault. I liked that you included the quote about students with disabilities. I believe that was the fault of NCLB act, was that they did not take in account for student with disabilities and or SES students. Students success is through the school, but as well as their environment and home support.
    -McKenzie

    ReplyDelete